All About Us
Sign In
Association News
6WS(Mob) History
The 6th Dimension
Alumni Reunions
Good Ole Days
Hey, It's Me!
Final Launch
Our Links
Site Map

Members Only



Photo Mapping '62

Click on picture to enlarge, Click on Browser's Back Arrow to return. Place pointer over picture for description.

USS Cayuga County, LST-529, From Ponape to Mussau ~ AST-7 ~1962 - Pictures by Robert (Bongo) Bongiovanni

Vitu Islands, Papua New Guinea  ~ AST-7 ~ 1962 - Pictures  and story below by Jerry Williams

    I finally got a group of slides sorted out and put together. They’re representative of my 1962 trip from 6th Mob. to the South Pacific for Task Force 11, AST 7. We left OKC on Thanksgiving in a rush. A helicopter had crashed in New Britain, Papua New Guinea while operating above it’s altitude limits. The LST which was supporting the Task Force was headed back to Guam to pick up a new bird and we were to get there, get gear sorted out, supplies loaded and headed out. We flew commercial to San Francisco, then boarded a MATS C-121 and flew to Guam via Hickam and Midway. We had Thanksgiving dinner at Hickam, again at Midway and at Guam, as there had been a Typhoon and the supplies had just arrived. They served dinner from field kitchens. We were there a few days, then spent 17 days on the LST enroute to Rabaul.

    We were in rough seas in a lightly loaded, flat bottomed LST for most of the trip until we were past the equator. We went through King Neptune’s court, losing our hair, eating grits with mustard and being whipped with fire hoses. The LST was the Cayuga County, LST 529, and it was to be its last voyage as it was worn out and rusty. 529 had no helideck, so the Navy pilots had to swing in over the rail in front of the bridge and land on the deck. There were rack of Avgas forward, and a sailor stationed there with a lanyard to jettison the fuel barrels overboard if the helicopter got squirrelly. It was an H34. I notice that later, they were flying H43’s, which had much better altitude capabilities.

    We had a 12 hour liberty at Rabaul, went to an ANZAC club for drinks and were taken home to government quarters on the ridge above the harbor by an Aussie patrol officer whose wife wanted to meet some Americans. As I recall, there were 5 of us in a little MG sized sports car. The Skipper, affectionaly called “Reef Moore” by the crew as he was paranoid about running up on a reef. He even steered around floating coconuts. He passed out at the club and a couple of guys rigged up a sedan chair, brought him back aboard and lashed him to the helm.

    We passed Kapingamaringi enroute and picked up a crew and some of the equipment which was to be ours. There had been a Tsunami and a lot of the gear had been wet. We were taken ashore at Garove, Pidu Point in the Vitu Islands. We had tents on a black volcanic sand beach (at 5 degrees south of the equator). Sand temperatures ran 140 to 160 degrees in the afternoon. We met the Australian, Ernie Edwards, who managed a plantation about 3 miles through the jungle, and spent Christmas Eve with Ernie and his family, 3 boys and an infant girl.

    Our radio callsign was 64 Alfa. Our tech was A1C Jim Parr and the other rawin operator was Dave Weiner. We kept hearing about all the people living in houses and getting R&R and stuff. We ran out of supplies twice and dynamited fish inside the reef. We were supposed to be resupplied every month, but they put us on the beach in December and picked us up in May. We had water problems as the winter rains didn’t materialize, but managed to make it.

Jerry Williams

     Greetings...! And thanks for a most interesting web site. My name is Gene Shafer...... I was one of the pilots evacuated off of the USS Cayuga County,  LST-529,  6/11/62.    The captain was Lt Byrnes, USN.......... can’t remember any other names. I’ll be turning 70 next month..... 45 years have faded my memory somewhat.............the accident was a result of "ground settling", a result of trying to hover in thin air with too much weight.......  The accident investigation board revealed a pressure altitude 8,300 feet at the resupply site some 8 miles inland......they were not able to drop paramedics into the site due to weather...... We had to walk out of the site and ended up following a stream down the mountain......my co-pilot stopped walking about 30 minutes downstream and the rescue team had to make a stretcher and carry him the rest of the way.......... I stopped walking about an hour into the trip down.........the legs just stopped working. We both had severe burns on our back sides from our necks down to our calves and after shock set in we were unable to walk any further......

     As a young ensign, I was having a good time up to this point.......  I enjoyed the people and the South Pacific..... saw many WW2 sites and visited many interesting areas......... really hated to give up the cruise............ Thanks for your most interesting web site.

Gene Shafer

Mussau Island, Papua New Guinea ~ AST-7 ~ 1962 - Pictures by Robert (Bongo) Bongiovanni


 • Up • Nuclear Tests '56-'58 • Nuclear Tests '62 • Nuclear Tests '62 #2 • Sferics • Tinker AFB, OK • Photo Mapping '62 • Photo Mapping '62 #2 • Photo Mapping '62 #3 • Photo Mapping '63 • Others.. • Others #2 • Others #3 •

For links to additional picture web pages taken by Doug Wilson click on:  Port Moresby #2  -  Wewak #2

Home All About Us Sign In Association News 6WS(Mob) History The 6th Dimension Membership Alumni Reunions Good Ole Days Hey, It's Me! Final Launch Our Links Site Map

Send mail to Webmaster@6thWeatherMobile.org with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: 12/06/17